The Hon. James L. Gale, a retired main judge of the North Carolina Company Court docket, received Elon University University of Law’s 2021-2022 Management in the Law Award at a ceremony hosted by North Carolina Legal professionals Weekly.
A retired chief decide of the North Carolina Company Court docket whose prosperity of understanding on company legislation has been sought out by companies throughout the region is the receiver of Elon University School of Law’s major professional award for management.
The Hon. James L. Gale received Elon Law’s 2021-2022 Leadership in the Regulation Award on April 14, 2022, at a management awards system hosted in downtown Greensboro by North Carolina Legal professionals Weekly.
Elon Legislation has bestowed its once-a-year leadership award in a banquet with North Carolina Legal professionals Weekly attended by judges and attorneys from across the condition for the newspaper’s own Leaders in the Legislation application.
Gale’s contributions to the legal occupation involve:
- Authoring far more than 200 views from 2011-2021 as a judge on the North Carolina Organization Court
- Serving for a few many years as main judge before he was named in 2016 as Senior Business Court Judge, a place established by the North Carolina Common Assembly
- Counseling the American College of Organization Courtroom Judges, the American Bar Association’s Business Law segment, The Sedona Convention, and the North Carolina Meeting of Top-quality Court docket Judges
- Mentoring dozens of North Carolina regulation school college students and graduates who have joined his chambers adjacent to Elon Regulation as interns and clerks
Gale began his legal career as a clerk for the Hon. Franklin T. Dupree, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Japanese District of North Carolina just before signing up for the organization of Smith Moore Leatherwood, the predecessor of today’s Fox Rothschild, wherever he practiced for 35 several years and served as handling spouse for its Raleigh and Tampa workplaces.
In 2011, Gale was appointed by Governor Bev Perdue to serve as a Special Remarkable Courtroom Decide on the North Carolina Business enterprise Court docket, citing his litigation practical experience with disputes involving partnership, fiduciary obligations, franchise, mental assets problems, trade regulation and unfair levels of competition promises.
Gale was acknowledged for his contributions to the legal occupation with the NCBA Antitrust & Complicated Business Disputes Legislation Section’s 2021 Distinguished Company Award, an honor bestowed each and every other 12 months on recipients who display the maximum ethical expectations, qualified competence, and contributions to the section and/or the fields of antitrust or elaborate business enterprise disputes legislation. He has been integrated in The Very best Lawyers in American and has been named to Small business North Carolina’s “Legal Elite” for Enterprise Litigation.
Legislation and Politics Journal experienced named Gale just one of North Carolina’s leading 100 “Super Lawyers” for numerous consecutive years prior to his judicial appointment.
An Alabama indigenous, Gale earned a Bachelor of Arts in literature from Florida Presbyterian School (considering the fact that renamed Eckerd College or university) ahead of finishing his Juris Doctor from the University of Ga where he graduated magna cum laude. He has been admitted to the bar in North Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.
Elon Legislation Interim Dean Alan Woodlief introduced Gale with the award. In his remarks, Woodlief thanked Gale for contributing to the schooling of regulation college students throughout North Carolina and for his immediate assistance of Moot Court programming at Elon Law.
“Judge Gale’s existence as a decide on the North Carolina Business enterprise Courtroom inside our legislation university creating presented students a daily illustration of what we mean when we describe the position of a ‘legal leader’ in our job,” Woodlief claimed. “And before he started his changeover into retirement, Choose Gale welcomed and has given that mentored his successor, the Honorable Julianna Earp.
“It is our privilege at Elon Regulation to know that Decide Gale’s determination to the success of the North Carolina Enterprise Courtroom, and the achievements of all law college students who have benefited from his mentoring and knowledge, will carry forward.”
Earlier Award Recipients
- The Hon. Albert Diaz (2020), decide, United States Court docket of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Janet Ward Black (2019), Greensboro attorney and previous president of the North Carolina Bar Affiliation
- The Hon. Henry E. Frye (2018), main justice (retired), Supreme Court of North Carolina
- The Hon. Robert N. “Bob” Hunter Jr. (2017), associate justice, North Carolina Court of Appeals
- The Hon. Patricia Timmons-Goodson (2016), vice chair, U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
- Leslie J. Winner (2015), govt director, Z. Smith Reynolds Basis
- The Hon. Mark Martin (2014), main justice, Supreme Courtroom of North Carolina
- Charles L. Becton (2013), attorney/judge/higher schooling leader in North Carolina
- Fred Lind (2012), Guilford County community defender
- Michael T. Marshall and Karen McKeithen Schaede (2011), Greensboro attorneys and founding Elon Regulation preceptors